What is it?
As we age, our skin loses its tightness and it starts sagging. This is a common problem associated with aging that causes a change in the overall appearance. The main reason for the sagging skin is the loss of collagen that is present under the skin.
Cosmetic medicine has come up with latest advancements in the field of skin care that addresses this issue. One of the cosmetic solutions that are commonly used to treat sagging skin is Skin Tightening, which can be either surgical or non-surgical.
Non-surgical skin tightening options are more popular as it can stop the aging process and restore a more youthful skin with no downtime.
Benefits of Non-Surgical Skin Tightening
Some of the benefits of non-surgical skin tightening procedures are:
- Mild to moderately loose skin can be tightened without surgery or scars, particularly the skin on the face, neck or body.
- Provides a lifting effect
- Negligible downtime is needed
- Very low chances of risks if done at an authorized clinic
- Effects of the procedure last up to a year
Radiofrequency (RF) Treatments
RadioFrequency Treatment option is a more popular option for most cases of skin tightening. In this treatment option, the radiofrequency (RF) energy is used to heat the skin and help trigger collagen production. RF Treatment focusses on the epidermal layers to achieve a firmer and smoother skin.
RF Skin Tightening is usually used to tighten the skin present on the face, neck, hands, and body. It is basically safe for all skin types and requires nearly no downtime. The patients don’t suffer from any discomfort.
The results usually appear gradually after a couple to several months after the procedure. The patient might require 2 - 6 treatments to obtain optimal results.
This treatment option adds traditional microneedling procedure with Radiofrequency energy.
Traditional Microneedling is a procedure that uses special devices to stimulate the body’s own healing responses by creating micro-injuries. When the micro-injuries are created, the body initiates the production of elastin and collagen that tightens the skin effectively, reducing the fine lines and acne scarring.
In the RF microneedling procedure, RF energy is provided through small needles and micro-injuries are created using microneedles. This procedure delivers the RF energy deep into the skin layer helping in enhancing the tightening of the skin and also reduction of scars.
This RF energy actually heats the layers underlying the skin leading constriction and tightening of the skin, followed by the stimulation of the production of collagen and elastin. The reason why RF Microneedling is more effective is that the RF energy is delivered deep into the skin, leading to faster and more dramatic results.
Who needs it?
RF Microneedling can be provided for any skin type and tone. It helps in dealing with the following issues:
- Fine lines
- Facial wrinkles
- Acne scars
- Chickenpox scars
- Irregular skin texture and tone
In most cases, the patients get optimal results within 2-3 treatment sessions at a 4-week interval. The severity of the skin and the response of the patient to the treatment also determine the number of treatment sessions needed.
- The patients usually have less discomfort and negligible downtime.
- The doctor might recommend topical anesthetic to be applied prior to the procedure for the patient’s comfort.
- Treatment takes around 1 hour, depending on the size of the area to be treated.
- The skin might be mildly red for a couple of days after the procedure. Nothing to be worried about.
- The patients can go back to their regular activities within a day.